Dover Gas Light Company, a gas company located in Dover, DE was started. Dover Gas Light would eventually become Chesapeake.
In 1947, Chesapeake Utilities was incorporated in Delaware. The picture depicts an early 1960’s Chesapeake ford vehicle used for service work.
In 1948, two natural gas companies, Citizens Gas Company, Salisbury, MD and Sussex Gas Company, Seaford, DE were acquired. The picture depicts the old Citizens Gas Company in the 1930s.
By 1959, ESNG extended a pipeline from Parkesburg, PA to Salisbury, MD and began delivering gas to its customers in the region. During this time, Chesapeake Utilities converted three operating facilities from propane to natural gas.
The Cambridge Gas Company, Cambridge, MD, a natural gas distribution company, was acquired.
Millsboro Pond Crossing – Landing of Mountaire Farms (Millsboro, DE), a major poultry customer on the Delmarva Peninsula. This expansion required CUC to extend its distribution main infrastructure over 2.5 miles in addition to an extension of 1.7 miles in Sussex County of the transmission pipeline system, Eastern Shore Natural Gas Company.
Trenching of Pipe along Rt. 9 for Lewes Expansion – This expansion in 2011 enabled us to begin providing service to two large commercial customers, giving us presence in a new community and blazing a path to offer natural gas service to more residential, commercial, and industrial customers all the way to the Delaware Coast.
© 2013 Chesapeake Utilities. All rights reserved.